Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A pre-mature, but hopeful, appreciation

Today I saw a well organized, cohesive group of professional cooks who had put serious effort into succeeding and to working together to get the jobs done well and on time. You should all be proud of yourselves, you are maturing into cooks who will be assets to the kitchens you inhabit and who will quickly rise to be leaders.

Honestly, I can't take much credit for it. There's no way that I could teach or instill these virtues in you all in 11 days - they were there all along. What I can take credit for is setting a higher bar, showing you what you are personally capable of and, hopefully, setting an example of how planning and organization can set you free to enjoy cooking.

It's now up to you...will you hold onto this way of living and make planning a habit or will you drop back because no one is really demanding too much? I believe that in each of you is a high performing, successful chef...nurture that, push it, educate it, LOVE it...make the time-line/prep list/google search part of the fun - the fore-play before the main event. When the planning becomes as much fun as the cooking, you're unstoppable.

We have 2 more days - make them fun for all of us.

I appreciate the growth you've all shown in K1. Thanks.

Now - DON"T SCREW IT UP tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Chef for all your motivation and knowledge......You are truly a rare instructor...

    Eric Jenkins

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chef Darth Vader:)
    It has been an ABSOLUTE pleasure working with you. I have never been pushed as hard as you pushed me in a class before. This motivation made me see things I had never seen in myself before, like planning and thinking ahead, getting things done in an organized fashion and a true passion for knowing what I am cooking in advance by research. It makes things run so so much smoother and I actually got to enjoy cooking because I knew what to expect. So I thank you sincerely for instilling these now set instincts! I never thought for a million years that we would have matured as a class, we have come a LONG way and I thank you for that. You expected much more from us than we expected from ourselves and its because of that we leave your kitchen with a new found confidence. I am truly lucky to have had you as an instructor because not many instructor's like you are there. Stay irie chef!
    Asante sana! (Thank you very much)
    Kenyan Girl:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blush....

    But really, if it wasn't there - inside of you all- in the first place, it wouldn't have come out.

    ReplyDelete